A viscous liquid, or a solid
- consisting essentially of hydrocarbons and their derivatives
- soluble in trichloroethylene
- substantially non-volatile
- softens gradually when heated.
- black or brown
- waterproofing and adhesive properties.
- obtained by refinery processes from petroleum
- also found as a natural deposit
- or as a component of naturally occurring asphalt, in which it is associated with mineral matter.
Basic characteristics of bitumen:
Essential properties of refined bitumen
- Specific consistency at key temperatures
- Durability = resistance to ageing
- Low fuming tendency
Paving Grades Bitumen
Meeting CE Marking EN 12591
- Bitumen B 35/50
- Bitumen B 50/70
- Bitumen B 160/220